A few weeks ago we ran Ealaín Solas (Light Art) a workshop where visitors got to learn about polarisation and made their own polarisation box. It was a great workshop with lots of good feedback. People loved their little boxes. With Dublin Maker only a few weeks away Jeffrey decided to make a scaled-up version.
The box follows the same design as the one created by the phablabs project. Two polarizer sheets, one being static and the other mounted on a turntable that can spin around. In this model, the turntable comes from a lazy susan. A device used for cake displays.
A few weeks ago on twitter, our friends from 57North Hacklab put is touch with people who were interested in buidling a DIY air quality monitoring system. We were pointed to the great work being done by luftdaten project.
Luftdaten is a citizen science project to collect data of particular matter from homemade monitoring units. All the data is open and available to all to use and used to gain insights into the effect our on environment. They provide a parts list, step by step guide and all the code needed to build your very own sensor to contribute to environmental monitoring in your locality.
The EU Contest for Young Scientists comes to Dublin this September, for the second time in its near-three decade history. The first EUCYS event was held in Brussels in 1989, with the aim of encouraging cooperation and the exchange of ideas and knowledge between young researchers, and to inspire and instil confidence in them to follow careers in science. This year’s event takes place in the RDS, Ballsbridge, Dublin, and runs for a full five days from Friday 14th to Tuesday 18th September. It offers participants the opportunity to meet and discuss their work with some of the world’s leading scientists. TOG will be there from 10 to 4 on Saturday 15th and Sunday 16th, and from 10 to 3 on Monday 17th, showcasing our projects and activities.
EUCYS is a part of the the Science with and for Society programme run by the Research directorate of the European Commission. For venue details and a programme of events, visit the EUCYS website.
After some TLC was offered up to Tog’s 3D printer, by way of a little restoration and tuning, it became very clear that the current hotend was on its way out.
Tog’s Lulzbot Taz 3.0 FDM 3D Printer has been deprecated and is approximately 3 versions behind the current technology. What’s worse is that the nozzles for the extruder were not standardised, byt comparison the E3D V6 style hotend and nozzles have been almost universally adopted. Even by manufacturers.
So, in case you’ve been wondering why Tog’s 3D printer has been out of action for approximately the past 2 weeks, thats why. I have started the process of upgrading the extrusion system to use an E3D V6 style hotend. Initally I tried some chinese clones (the designs are GPL’d after all!) but found their quality seriously wanting. I cannot comment on the genuine article as the order appears to have been lost in the UK postal system for the time being.
The main issue with changing from the Lulzbot Budaschnozzle v2.0 configuration to an E3D V6 is that there is apparently no models or designs we can draw from to make a mount. So I had to design one from scratch. I say design one, but actually there were manydesigns. The first was a laser cut wood mount – It worked but it just didnt feel like it what I was experiencing was truely level.
As I am lucky enough to have a Prusa i3 MK3 printer of my own, so I have been iterating over the design and protyping a lot of different variations to see what works. When I say a lot, I do really mean a lot…
The current backplate – which is already a reasonably good hot-plug-able system, is replaced with an altered one. This new one comes with a 5 x 7 grid (14mm spacing) of 4mm hex cavities which will be used as a ‘mechanical key’ to home whatever tool is installed. This way we come a little bit closer to achieving “true level”, mostly. It also has the added feature of supporting many different applications in the one piece – wheras originally it only supported the extruder assembly and the stock nozzle, this new design could even be used for things such as drawing circuits or as a plotter.
As I’ve been using AutoDesk Fusion 360 to design it, you can use this link to see the current model and download it if you so desire. It is still very much a work in progress, however.
Check out some pics of the latest rev of our pizza oven, which had it’s first run on Saturday at our Birthday party.
When we built our first pizza oven in Chancery Lane, it became a regular feature of our Open Socials and other events. Having our own dedicated yard in Chancery Lane, meant that we could build a permanent one outside.
Blackpitts is an amazing space for us, but we do not have our own dedicated yard. We have a shared car park. We’ve built the oven temporarily on special occasions, but we have to take it down the next day. It’s always been the plan to make a mobile one that we could push out as-required.
Over the last few months we built that mobile version and it had its first successful run on Saturday at our party. Drop in to our regular open socials to see it in operation.