Coder Girl Hack Day

shadow-boxesWe had a great time at Coder Girl Hack Day on Saturday. The girls assembled shadow boxes from laser cut plywood. They got to decorate them and install some LED lights that they soldered together with 9v battery and resistor. The boxes worked great and the girls got to take them home too.

TOG Brewday

Just completed our first triple brew day in TOG with 3 members making 75 liters of Stout, Brown Porter and American Pale ale.  Colm Gorey from Silicon Republic also dropped in to ask us a few questions about how to get started with brewing as part of his Tech Tips series.

brewing equipment

Triple Brew Day

The beers were brewed on 3 very different types of equipment. the stout was brewed with the traditional mash tun and kettle combination. The mash tun is made from a large cooler box and the kettle is a very large boiler that is normally used for keeping water hot. The brown porter was brewed using a Braumeister, it is an automated brewing system that has the mashtun built into the kettle. The American pale ale was brewed on a semi automated brewing system called the Grainfather, it operates in a similar fashion to the Braumeister as it also integrates the mash tun and kettle together.

All of this equipment and ingredients is permanently located in the TOG space and is available for all full members to use anytime.

October Open Social

social-duckWe’re at it again. It’s our regular Open Social evening. If you’ve never been to our Social, you’ll find it a great alternative Saturday evening in town. Come in and look around. If you’ve never been in before, we’ll give you the grand tour of the space. Talk to members and visitors about projects or things you’d like to do. Ask about our regular craft evening, which has just restarted. If you like what you see, ask about joining as a full member. Either way, we’re always interested to know what has drawn you to our door.

Hopefully there’ll be, caint, ceol agus craic as usual. The space stays open until the last member is left……usually the small hours of Sunday morning. The evening is free to attend for members and visitors alike. No need to book…. just turn up. You can drop in for 10 minutes, or stay the whole night. We have parking available. Bring beer, food, gadgets! Our doors are open from 7PM. Hope to see you there.

Science Week: Soldering Workshop

02477_Science_Week_FinalThis hands on workshop will cover various aspects of soldering; from the basic techniques of soldering, to soldering electronic components to make simple circuits. Participants will learn how to solder and finish off the workshop with a kit they can bring home. Check out some photos from previous workshops in our gallery.

Cost:  €20.00 plus fees. Tickets below.

When: Sunday 13rd of November.  11:00 to 13:30

No electronics skills required. This workshop is suitable for 12 years and up. All participants under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

For more great Science Week event all over the country visit

Continue reading “Science Week: Soldering Workshop” »

SuperCollider Workshop

supercolliderSuperCollider is a platform for audio synthesis and algorithmic composition, used by musicians, artists, and researchers working with sound. It is free and open source software available for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. With it’s GUI that can interface with external controllers. In a client / server architecture, it features a library providing for acoustic research, algorithmic music, interactive programming and live coding. The objective of this workshop is to learn the basics of the language and apprehend time in its projects to develop complex scenarios by orchestrating and communication of its internal and external processes to SuperCollider.

Workshop Leader BioSébastien Clara is multidisciplinary, he is computer scientist, musician and musicologist. He has compted a musicology course (my humanities) concluded with a Master of Science in Computer Music and Master of Music Research. At the present time, He is a PhD student and teaches computer music at Jean Monnet University of St-Étienne. He is also a keen trumpet player.

Blog :
Participants: Must bring a laptop with SuperCollier pre-installed and a set of headphones.

Dates: Saturday 29th of October 11:00 – 15:00

Cost: Free but requires preregistration. See below.

This workshop is for adults only.

Continue reading “SuperCollider Workshop” »

Forge Maintenance

forgeA few years ago, we built a forge based on Larry Zoeller’s designs. We’ve used it a few times and now it’s time that the forge itself gets a bit of maintenance. This is nothing more than recoating the inside with a refractory coating to help keep the insulation in good shape. We did a quick test fire after letting it dry for a week and all was well.