Metal Lathe

latheLate last year TOG took delivery of a new toy…. a brand new metal lathe. At about 600Kg, it’s probably the heaviest bit of equipment that we have in the space. We had some fun getting it in the door……and yes we did measure the door before we ordered it :-) . A bit of heaving and ho’ing with an engine crane and we soon had it up on its cabinet stands. We spent a few weeks assembling it, reviewing all the accessories and getting it all tested. We have 3 and 4 jaw chucks, live and dead centres, steady rests and a number of other tools and accessories.

We’ve had some great instruction from one of our members relatives. We’re now slowly beginning to use it. Our crafters kindly made a nice protective cover from some spare vinyl. The lathe is a great addition to our workshop . We have a brand new MIG welder on the way too, thanks to one of our regular workshop user/members.  We even have a CNC Mill in our sights too….right Ed :-) .  Drop in and have a tour of our workshop. You can see all of our tools and equipment. More pics here…..Lathe Pics


Sandymount Repair Cafe – CANCELLED


Repair Cafe  returns to Sandymount on Saturday 7th of March 2:00pm5:00pm. The event were expert volunteers help you repair everyday items and talk you through the process. The event is totally free.

Bring along your broken items and learn how to fix them alongside expert volunteers…. anything from stereos to suitcases, lamps to laptops, chairs to chinos and plates to parasols.

TOG will be making up part of the team of volunteers on the day. The event takes place in Christchurch Hall, Sandymount.

-Update- This is now cancelled.


February 2015 Book Club

Thank you to all who came to the February book club meeting. (I still can’t believe no-one else enjoyed the book as much as I did!) The next meeting is set for 19:30 Friday 20th March. (Hopefully we’ll enjoy the next book more.)

This month’s book is “The Martian” by Andy Weir;

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he’s sure he’ll be the first man to die there.

And the short story this month is “Progress Report” by Alex Apostolides and Mark Clifton, and is available on Gutenberg.

As a reminder, feel free to pop over to our goodreads group and add suggestions for future reading.

Happy reading, and see you next month!

Art -> Code

Come in for a cuppa Thursday in Tog for some delightful doodling!


DSC_1201 DSC_1191


Amazing art & mess making session, open to all from 4pm on in Tog.

Stick around from 7pm for some computer wizardry for Coder Night


Tog 2.0 keeps it kickin’!

Hive game using real insects

So I came across these interesting insect specimens encased in acrylic, and thought to myself that these would make snazzy custom hive pieces.

First step was to measure up the acrylic blocks for size then take a photo and bring it into inkscape. Draw a rectangle that lines up with the acrylic block edges, select the picture and rectangle and go Object->Clip->Set to crop the image to the edges of the block. Then scale down the image to the real block size in mm.

These blocks are 45mm by 30mm so I create a green rectangle to those dimensions then center the picture in this green box.


To create the hexagon go the pentagon&star icon, then enter 6 sides and drop the hexagon near the picture. I’ve made the hexagon 30mm from face to face so that it maximizes the area of the block. Line up the hexagon in red with the parallel sides in line with the width.

The original tiles are either 25mm or 38mm depending on the version, but as these are custom it’s an acceptable compromise between the two.


Another compromise is that the insect icons have the head pointing towards the flat face in the original but we point them to the corner, otherwise we end up cutting into the body of the insect.

Once happy with the alignment, set the bed area in inkscape to 1220mm wide by 610 high in File->Document properties. This is a prerequisite for using our Lasersaur, but it also makes it easier then to place where the piece will be cut relative to the bed.

Save your work out and remove all the elements except for the green rectangle. We save off this rectangle as rect.svg then do the same for the red hexagon that we center centered with the rectangle. Start up the lasersaur app or connect to it as a web service and import in the rectangle. Add it to the queue and set the feed rate to 1500 and the laser power to1% . What we are doing here is just scoring the mdf destruction sheet so we can line up the acrylic block.

Once the rectangle is scored do the same for the hexagon.



Then take one of the acrylic blocks and spray mount the back of it. (More on this later). Align the block with the scored square and press down lightly.

Send the hexagon back into the lasersaur queue but set it to 3 passes with each pass at 50% power at 300mm/min feed rate. This should get through the 8 to 10 mm of acrylic.


Once the heddy fumes have extracted out from the bed we can open it and examine the piece. It should just lift from the mdf with minor force.

A few more runs and we have the start of our own custom set of Hive pieces.



As the spray mount is tricky to remove, some white spirits will wipe it off quite easily. The trouble is that if you machine or laser cut acrylic it can set up micro striations in the material (crazing) that show up once you apply a solvent or glue. A workaround could be to stick down the block with double sided sticky tape.

Another issue is that you need to get the feed rate & power balance so that you don’t scorch the edge. You can tidy this up by using a scrape or stanley blade to clean up the edges, then flame polish the edge with an oxy-acetylene torch.

Book scanner

Starting making book scanner today in tog.