In recent weeks, a few of our board game fanatics have met on Friday evenings in Tog. We have played some games, we laughed & decided to utilize laser cutter to make extra sturdy Acrylic tokens for a game called Androind: Netrunner. A good bit of graphical artwork was already online (thx for a great design) and after some manipulation it was ready to be cut. Other designs had to be done from scratch. So far we have designed & prototype cut all the regular size tokens. There is a plan to cut large size Credits Sets as well.
Android: Netrunner is an asymmetrical Living Card Game for two players. Set in the cyberpunk future of Android and Infiltration, the game pits a megacorporation and its massive resources against the subversive talents of lone runners.
Corporations seek to score agendas by advancing them. Doing so takes time and credits. To buy the time and earn the credits they need, they must secure their servers and data forts with “ice”. These security programs come in different varieties, from simple barriers, to code gates and aggressive sentries. They serve as the corporation’s virtual eyes, ears, and machine guns on the sprawling information superhighways of the network.
In turn, runners need to spend their time and credits acquiring a sufficient wealth of resources, purchasing the necessary hardware, and developing suitably powerful ice-breaker programs to hack past corporate security measures. Their jobs are always a little desperate, driven by tight timelines, and shrouded in mystery. When a runner jacks-in and starts a run at a corporate server, he risks having his best programs trashed or being caught by a trace program and left vulnerable to corporate countermeasures. It’s not uncommon for an unprepared runner to fail to bypass a nasty sentry and suffer massive brain damage as a result. Even if a runner gets through a data fort’s defenses, there’s no telling what it holds. Sometimes, the runner finds something of value. Sometimes, the best he can do is work to trash whatever the corporation was developing.
The first player to seven points wins the game, but likely not before he suffers some brain damage or bad publicity!
We are proud to be hosting a meeting of the Dublin Maker organising crew and thought it would be nice to make a few name plates. We started off with the this great instructable by Matthew Beckler. Taking about 2 minute per name plate to cut and then a bit of hot glue to keep them together. Check out our gallery for some more photos.
Our Locking picking group are always busy saving the Ha’penny Bridge one lock at a time. By teaming up with DCC Beta, they are not only been helping to save the bridge but also to reduce the cost of removing the locks. One of the problems our LoveLockNoMore team face, is when people return to find their lock gone. They are left in a state wondering will their love disappear just like their lock.
We have come with the solution of leaving a calling card any time we remove locks. We hope people will find our twitter account and get in touch if they would like their lock back.
As we are a maker space too, we decided to make the calling cards ourselves. After a quick prototype drawn in Inkscape, we went to our Lasersaur to make it. Some photos of the build.
So finally after 7 months of running the laser, we are getting around to making a blog post.
Our Lasersaur 13.04 is working well have been able to cut lots and lots of projects. Come and check it out we have some stuff you can take away with you. Also if you have any projects you would like to try out let us know in comments or join our mailing list.